"Really?" is the reply I often get when I tell people I'm heading back to Cambodia. Some try to hide their bewilderment, others ask if I really liked it that much. Those who aren't fans of my decision kindly remind me of the leeches, orphanage food, and painfully hot climate I wasn't hesitant to leave behind last July. I had spent six amazingly challenging, exciting, and rewarding months in the beautiful Cambodian countryside teaching English at an orphanage of 70 kids.
Because of my positive experience last year and my love for traveling, when the opportunity to work with EGBOK Mission arose, it took me about a day to make my decision - I'll be returning for six months! Same country, same length, but much different work.
Teaching the high school students, I quickly realized how uncertain everything is regarding their futures. They've been told to not give up on Khmer government school, because a diploma is worth something (false). They've seen their peers drop out of school to work in the garment factories (where they'll make more than their teachers) and they know how valuable English skills are, as the tourism industry in Cambodia is rapidly expanding.
EGBOK (Everything's Gonna Be OK) Mission's aim is to allow the students who are interested in pursuing a career in the hospitality industry an opportunity to attend the universities and programs that will appropriately and successfully prepare them for a career in their chosen field.
In Siem Reap (a real city!) I'll be with other EGBOK Mission volunteers helping implement the English and hospitality curriculum to high school aged students. I'll also be helping students gain the professional skills needed to apply, interview, and ultimately gain acceptance into one of the hospitality schools. The batch of EGBOK Mission students who have nearly finished their studies will be applying for jobs upon completion of their programs. I look forward to assisting in this life-changing leap from engaged, hard working student to competent, respected employee and coworker. Egbok stresses the importance of finding the right career path for each individual student, making for a more rewarding and satisfying profession.
My overweight bags are packed, including the spf 50 lip balm. I've splurged on a $15 mango corer. This time I'll be lounging in an aisle seat, since last year's 16 hour window seat journey still gives me nightmares. Having gone through the experience of being told I'm too fat for much of the clothing in the Cambodian markets, my space bags are filled with a surplus of Target tees. My Khmer language skills have drastically gone down hill. In fact, my favorite phrase 'jung da morng nay', which means 'really?' (in a flirtatious tone) only gets spoken on rare occasion here at home. A shame, really, since it's fun to say and can be easily thrown into any conversation.
I'm ready.
April 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Hi Molly,
I love your since of adventure and humor.
The 1230 Yoga class is up and running well - Serena is doing a great job.
Stay safe.
Wayne
Post a Comment